Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Stopping to Pet the Bunnies



Tidying came to a full stop last week due to an unexpected houseguest and impromptu trip to visit my hometown. It was good to get down to the coast, thankfully during a break in the insane weather that we've had here in Texas the last couple of weeks, but I'll be glad to get back into the swing of things this week! In between catch up cleaning and house hunting, I'm planning to begin tackling that long list of komono that Kondo recommends next.

In the meantime, it was really cool to get down to see my mother's mini-farm! She's an enterprising woman, and spends her free time building up the backyard. This last year she added a greenhouse and rabbit hutch to the goats, chickens, fruit trees, and raised garden beds she already had in place.




I was stalked around the yard by Simba, a neighbor's kitten that defected to our property when he realized it was way more interesting to hang with the other animals.


Mom has a litter of kits (baby bunnies for those who don't feel like Googling), which are not too keen on being held, but I persisted anyway!


The hens taking a tour of the yard, scratching up bugs as they go.



All the goats wanted to have their pictures taken! They love being petted and walked up to greet me. The kids also wanted to try eating my fingers and clothes, but lost interest when I wouldn't go along with that idea.




































Fruit trees! Mom just planted these a couple years ago, but they're doing great. Lots of peaches and nectaplums to fight over with the squirrels. Squirrels are cute, but they can be wasteful pests when you have fruit trees. They like to take random bites out of the fruit, so it's ruined before it even ripens, but don't eat the whole thing. Thanks a lot, fluffy jerks!


I love seeing what's going on with my mom's latest agricultural pursuits because it's inspiring for the dreams I have in owning my future home. We're shopping around now for a great property, and I fully plan to put in as many raised beds as possible and have a couple of chickens. They're so easy to take care of, and the eggs are unbeatable! 



Fun fact, because I've blown a few city born individual's minds with this, roosters are not required for chickens to lay eggs. The eggs you buy at the store are unfertilized; eggs are essentially chicken periods that they lay about everyday, depending on environment and feed, regardless of whether fertilization occurs. This is good news, because roosters are often territorial assholes, and they make way too much noise. Chickens were bred over human history to provide easy, reliable sustenance for us, so all you need is a little feed, some water, and shelter from their many predators and you're golden! Golden yolk puns come to mind, but I resist.



Topped everything off with a bucket of locally farmed crawfish that were a-m-a-z-i-n-g. Probably the last I'll get this year, so I savored them!

I'll be back soon with more KonMari style tidying!

No comments:

Post a Comment